Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Doing the Parks By Yourself

Phew, it's been a while since I posted something. I apologize, but having a 9 month old really takes up a lot of my time. It's worth every second, though.

In reading my Google Reader collection of Disney blogs, I came across an article on Passport and Dreams, Old and New and came across this article: http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2009/08/who-lives-here.html with the following quote:
The theme parks are meant for people; anybody who has experienced the cold and unique desolation of a Magic Kingdom with no patrons in the wee hours of the morning understands fully how the entire operation's illusion of warmth and vitality depends on the prescence of music, spectators, employees.
This blog entry intrigued me because I've been lucky enough to take a few trips to the park by myself.

In 1999, a coworker of mine was sent to Orlando on a business trip. This gave me the idea to do the same. So, I talked my boss into sending me down to a conference that was sort of similar to my job. This was to be my first time in the parks by myself. Prior to this, I was only used to traveling through the parks with 10 or so family members. This time, I wouldn't have to stop after every ride to eat or use the restroom, I wouldn't have to suffer through any of the kiddie rides. I'd have my recorder with me - I could stop and pause anywhere to record the great atmosphere music that is played.

The very first day, I went to the Magic Kingdom. I can picture the park in my mind as if it was yesterday. I strolled down Main Street, taking it all in and enjoying the brilliant sunshine. I can vividly remember stopping at the hub and taking a seat to simply people watch for quite some time. Another benefit of going alone - you can take time to wait, whereas a big group always seems to be on the move and you're constantly stressed to keep everyone together and happy. The first day was fantastic and I remember being so excited to be getting this entire trip for "free".

However, as the week went on, the excitement began to wear off, and I became very lonely. Watching all of the happy families around me made me go way out my way to try to strike up conversations with perfect strangers just to have someone to talk to. Towards the end of the week, I was desperate to have someone to interact with and actually tagged along with a couple of high school girls who had struck up a conversation with me to see Fantasmic. Yeah, it was a bit odd, but I was going crazy being by myself.

I had a second opportunity to visit the park by myself last year. I was attending another conference in Orlando and had some time to spend at the parks, as most of my courses were over by 5 PM. Much like the first trip, the first few times were fantastic as I was fired up to be there, but as I got towards the end of the trip, I felt uncomfortable being by myself.

Looking back on my trips by myself, they were both fun and lonely. It was something that every park enthusiast should experience in small amounts. It really gives you time to take in the atmosphere of the parks... almost too much time for thinking and reminiscing about family trips from the past.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I participated in the Disney College Program in 2007 and since I didn't have a vehicle of my own, the parks were pretty much the only place to go. I spent A LOT of time in the parks alone, and I agree with you completely. What I discovered during my wanderings were my personal favorites- rides, quick service, placement for shows, etc. and I found that it helps a lot when people ask for recommendations of any sort.

Unknown said...

Hey,Just wanted to say that I have enjoyed reading your blog. I have only been to Disney World 2 times but I have great memories. Thanks for sharing yours!