Sunday, August 31, 2008

Abandoned Disney Attractions

First, I'd like to share a link that I found particular fascinating: The Deserted Skyway Building of Fantasyland, Disneyland.

Being the supremely curious person that I am, I've always been fascinated by Disney attractions that are no more. When we go to WDW these days and enter one of my old favorite attractions of all time, Journey Into Your Imagination (that has been ruined these days), I'm infinitely curious about what's upstairs where the Image Works once was. As a kid, I loved nothing more than running around up there, under the glass pyramid, under the cloud-less Florida skies. I can remember running through the tunnel that changed color when you ran through it, walking on the colored blocks that made different tones when you stepped on them, pressing my hand on the pin boards to see my hand's silhouette on the other side, leading an virtual orchestra with my hands; the place was as the Dreamfinder called it, a creative playground. When the ride was redone in the late 1990's, they closed this part of the attraction and opened up a subpar replacement for it downstairs. Today, the upstairs is roped off so you can't get up there, but you can see that there's something still up there and it appears to still be maintained (at least what you can see from the bottom of the steps). It's so tantalizing to me to jump the rope, run up there, and see what's doing. Maybe a few clicks of some power buttons and I could turn the whole area on and bring it back to life?

Likewise, before Pooh's forest took over the old 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea area, I was fascinated with what was under the water in there. Were all of the old mechanics still in place? Where were the subs? I used to love that ride and I was supremely disappointed when it closed. I'd love nothing more than sneaking behind the scenes back behind the cave to see what they've done with all of the controls and things.

This is why the aforementioned link to the Fantasyland Skyway fascinated me: This was once a place of joy and fun that is now overgrown and hidden from the public. Everything is still in place as it once was, but being overtaken by nature. I wonder how many people remember the Skyway as a kid, reminisce about it, and think of also peeking behind that curtain to see the state of what they remember from years gone by.

No comments: